Tuesday 24 July 2012

Nike over the decades with Stephen Cheetham & Nike


After taking part in A&S'  'A Few of My Favourite Sneakers' project last year (with illustration agency Handsome Frank), London-based illustrator Stephen Cheetham was inspired to create a series of artworks documenting his favourite Nike shoes from the past four decades. Interview after pics.


Can you explain a little about your background?
I wanted to be a product designer when I left college, so I went to Newcastle to study 3D design. Had lots of fun, learned some things, moved to London looking for work, but failed to be a product designer and ended up working in retail. At the same time I had a few friends who put on gigs and parties and asked me to do flyers for them. People seemed to like the flyers, so I took it more seriously and really started to enjoy it. That's where my path into illustration started. I played with my style, put a portfolio together, kept working on flyers/posters/competitions and then looked into getting an agent. After a few years working on my illustration whenever I could, I got a break when I joined Handsome Frank, and now work as a freelance illustrator.

What made you draw 32 pairs of sneakers - and why Nike?
I have a real soft spot for Nike runners from the 70s, so after illustrating the Cortez for the Art & Sole 'A Few of My Favourite Sneakers' feature, I started illustrating some other personal favourites. Just for fun really, but then I started thinking about what I could do with them and thought about a series of posters, not only concentrating on the 70s but other decades too. The series was born. I've always preferred Nike to any other sneaker brand. Not sure why, just aesthetically more appealing to me I guess.

Are these your favourite Nike's from each decade, or were these silhouettes simply the most interesting to draw?
I'd say these are some of my favourites. There are some big omissions from each decade, but I limited myself to eight just for layout and continuity.

From past experience we know you love the Cortez, but which was your favourite shoe to draw from this project?
I think I'd have to say the Bruin, just because it's a beautifully simple silhouette, and I think it works well in my simple illustrative style. If you asked me tomorrow I'd probably completely change my mind though. Difficult to choose.

Lastly, have you earmarked any recent releases for a future 2010s collection?
Definitely. There have been some pretty amazing new models this year alone, my favourite being the Flyknit Racer. I've yet to get my hands on a pair (pesky all-night queues), but hopefully soon with more colour ways being released.


No comments:

Post a Comment